What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic is a health care discipline based on the scientific premise that the body is a self-regulating, self-healing organism. These important functions are controlled by the brain, spinal cord, and all the nerves of the body. “Chiropractic” comes from the Greek word Chiropraktikos, meaning “done by hand.”
The practice of chiropractic focuses on the relationship between structure (primarily but not limited to the spine and pelvis) and function (as coordinated by the nervous system) and how that relationship affects the preservation and restoration of health.
The skull protects the delicate tissues of the brain. The moving bones (vertebrae) of the spine protect the intricate communication pathways of the spinal cord and nerve roots. If a spinal joint becomes dysfunctional, interference with the spinal nerves can result. This interference often reduces your body’s ability to; coordinate its functions, adapt to changing requirements and heal itself. All of which can have dramatic affects on your health, lifestyle, and lower the body’s resistance to illness and pain. Chiropractic is the science, art and philosophy of locating and correcting these problematic areas in the nervous system.
Chiropractic treatment at this clinic involves numerous different treatment options including specific adjustments, mobilization, soft tissue therapy and rehabilitative exercises to give you the fastest and longest lasting results. We are firm advocates of active therapy, meaning you as the patient have an active role in your treatment i.e. exercise, rehabilitation, ergonomic advice, self treatment advice etc.
What is Gonstead Chiropractic?
The Gonstead System of Chiropractic is unique because it’s thorough, complete and specific in the diagnosis and correction of Chiropractic subluxations. It is a safe and gentle technique suited to everyone from infants to the elderly.
The technique is named after its founder; Dr Clarence Gonstead. Dr Gonstead was a mechanical engineer who applied these mechanical principles to the human body.
After much study, reining and practice, the Gonstead technique was born!
In 1964 Clarence Gonstead established the world’s largest Chiropractic clinic in the small country town of Mt.Horeb, Wisconsin US. It contained its own hotel and air strip, so traveling patients could stay, in addition to boasting a waiting room with a capacity for 106 patients!
The successful results obtained by Dr Gonstead attracted patients to his clinic from all over the world. The Gonstead Clinic in Mt.Horeb stands as a tribute to Gonstead’s hard work and sincere dedication to Chiropractic care. When asked the secret behind his years of success, Dr. Gonstead replied: “No secret, just lots of satisfied patients”.
The Gonstead Spinal Analysis
Your Gonstead Chiropractor conducts a thorough examination using six criteria to evaluate the spine (see walk through visit for full description)
The location and characteristics of your problem, what activities aggravate and relieve it, and other or past conditions will give a picture of your overall health status.
Your Gonstead Chiropractor is an expert in looking for subtle changes to your posture and movement which can indicate any problems.
The nervoscope is a unique instrument that is highly accurate in detecting heat abnormalities along the spine due to circulatory changes caused by the subluxation.
Method of feeling your spine and tissues for swelling, tenderness and any abnormal textures or tightness in the muscles or other tissues.
Method of feeling for movement in individual joints of the spine to determine if the movement has been reduced due to a misalignment.
Weight bearing x-rays of the spine helps evaluate the spine for any pathology (disease, fracture) as well as the condition of the discs and joints. The x-ray also allows your Gonstead Chiropractor to evaluate your posture and position and determine potential areas of stress.
Once all of this analysis has been completed, your Chiropractor can combine these important factors to determine which specific treatment is necessary to correct your problem.
The Gonstead Adjustment
After a complete evaluation, your Gonstead Chiropractor will have a thorough understanding of your problem and its location. The specific, accurate and precise correction of the Chiropractic subluxation is known as the adjustment. Only the subluxated segments need to be corrected, other segments that show some signs such as tenderness are compensations and are best left alone.
The Gonstead adjustment is a specific force delivered by hand. This provides individual control over the adjustment so it can be varied to suit any situation and person. It is a very fast thrust that is gentle and effective. The adjustment will restore proper function to your spine and nervous system. The body can then begin its natural healing process, and operate to its full potential! The examination used in the Gonstead system of analysis help determine if certain adjustments are required. There maybe times where your Gonstead chiropractor, once they have examined you, decide that an adjustment is not required.
It is important to realise the difference between a specific Gonstead Chiropractic adjustment and a manipulation. Below is a table that highlights the major differences:
- Non specific “global” movement to multiple vertebral joints in multiple directions
- Performed to increase mobility
- Contacts several joints
- Long leaver contacts
- Performed at end range of movement
- Short Term relief
- Specific Contact point with a specific angle to restore normal mechanics and ONE joint
- Performed to reduce irritation to a specific nerve
- One joint
- Short leaver
- Performed at end range of movement
- Long term relief
About Dr Luke Nelson
Dr Luke Nelson – Chiropractor
Dr Luke (co-owner of Chiropractic Solutions) has a strong interest in sports injuries and rehabilitation, in particular running and golf biomechanics and injuries. He has worked with a number of elite athletes from a wide variety of sports including Australian Rules football, water polo, golf, triathlon, cricket, athletics, ice hockey, volleyball and soccer.
A keen fitness enthusiast himself, Dr Luke has competed in a variety of different sports throughout his life, but more recently enjoys:
- Running: has completed multiple marathons and ultra marathons
- Triathlon: has completed multiple Iron Man triathlons
- Cross fit
Graduating with distinction from Chiropractic at RMIT in 2003, Dr Luke has gone onto to complete an extensive post graduate education. Since 2003, Dr Luke has completed:
- FICS – International Chiropractic Sports Science diploma
- Postgraduate Diploma in Sports Chiropractic – Murdoch University
- Masters in Sports Science – Murdoch University
- Enhance Running technician 2011 – present
- Certified FAKTR Provider – Read More Under Sports Chiropractic
- Spider Tech taping certified
- Functional Movement Screen Certified practitioner – Read More Under Sports Chiropractic
- Y-Balance testing certified – Read More Under Sports Chiropractic
- Selective Functional Movement Screen Advanced practitioner – Read More Under Sports Chiropractic
- Titleist Performance Institute Level 1 certified – Read More Under Sports Chiropractic
- Professional member of: Chiropractic Association of Australia, Sports Chiropractic Australia, Sports Medicine Australia, Gonstead Society of Australia, International Federation of Sports Chiropractic (FICS), Chiropractic and Osteopath College of Australia, Chiropractic Australia
- Board Appointments:
- Sports Medicine Australia Victorian board 2014-present
- International Federation of Sports Chiropractic 2014-present
- Sports Chiropractic Australia Victorian committee 2014-present
- Involvement with Teams and associations:
- Collingwood Football club (AFL)- massage therapist 2001-2012
- Victorian Tigers Water Polo team (National league)- Team Chiropractor 2009-2012
- Oakleigh Chargers (TAC cup)- Team Chiropractor 2009-2012
- Treated a variety of elite and Olympic athletes from AFL, golf, Triathlon & Athletics
- A keen fitness enthusiast himself, Dr Luke has competed in a variety of different sports throughout his life, but more recently enjoys:
- Running: has completed multiple marathons and ultra marathons- Marathon PB of 3:09
- Triathlon: has completed multiple Iron Man triathlons: Melbourne 2012 and 2014 IM – PB of 10:29hrs
- Cross fit
Dr Luke truly shares a passion for what he does. He loves his job helping athletes to recover from injury and achieve their full potential. Dr Luke’s approach to treatment is multimodal, which means he uses a variety of techniques depending on your condition and preferences. This can include specific adjustments to the spine and extremities, mobilization, soft tissue therapies (Active Release technique, myofascial release and instrument assisted techniques), rehabilitation and other movement/exercise therapies, sports specific technique advice, kinesiotaping, strapping and bracing.
About Dr Neil Gomez
Dr Neil Gomez – Chiropractor
BA BSc BApp Sci (Clinical) B Chiro Sci
My passion is to help people: I care about the outcome of my chiropractic treatment and helping people reach optimal levels of wellbeing and health through chiropractic care.
Dr Neil Gomez (co-owner of Chiropractic Solutions) has a strong interest in the Gonstead technique of chiropractic after having experienced its benefits for his own back. He has attended over 30 Gonstead seminars and completed a 5 year internship under 2 Gonstead diplomats. He has particular interest in treating sports injuries, paediatrics and pregnancy care. Currently Dr Neil is studying the new field of Neural plasticity and Functional Neurology as he is completing his Diplomate in Chiropractic Neurology.
After completing a Bachelor of Arts and Science at Monash University where he majored in Anatomy and Physiology, Dr Neil went onto study Chiropractic at RMIT which he completed in 2002. Since then he has completed numerous post graduate courses:
- Gonstead Extremities Certification
- Certificate in Chiropractic Pediatrics under the mentorship of Dr Braden Kiel
- FICS – Upper and Lower Extremity Certification
- Selective Functional Movement Screen Advanced practitioner
Outside of Chiropractic, Dr Neil has numerous hobbies. He loves to travel and photograph architectural buildings and archaeological sites. Some of the destinations that he has visited include Brazil, Peru, Cuba, Guatemala. Mexico, Spain, Tukey and India.
Dr Neil also loves his sport. He plays Badminton and Squash regularly and enjoys weight training and Yoga.
Dr Neil is very passionate about helping his patients recover from injury and achieve their full potential. Dr Neil uses a variety of techniques depending on your condition and preferences. This can include specific adjustments to the spine and extremities, mobilization, soft tissue therapies (Active Release technique, myofascial release and instrument assisted techniques), rehabilitation and other movement/exercise therapies, neuro rehabilitation and dietary testing/advice.